A Night Out in Rick Owens

October 3, 2014

by Gracia Ventus

Rick Owens via The Rosenrot | For The Love of Avant-Garde Fashion

I went out for a rather lavish dinner in town, having had the pleasure to be chauffeured to and fro by a good friend of mine. I don’t usually speak about the context of my outfits but I am making an exception this time. This was simply due to one thought that popped up in my head as I was passing a very pleasant evening. “The internet will not believe that I wore this outfit”, I murmured to my friend.

I know many of you are aware that I live in the tropics and hence do not have much opportunities to wear thick clothing. Several contributing factors on that evening allowed me to do so. One being optimal layering – the dress I wore underneath is sleeveless and very thin, so much so that if I were to wear nipple tapes they could be seen (yikes!). It’s also important the the coat I was wearing is extremely oversized, hence allowing for air circulation (wow can’t believe I said that about a Rick outerwear!). Two – I was constantly spending my time in air-conditioned environments in the evening. Three – and I always stress this time and time again, my body is highly acclimatised to heat (hence dealing very poorly in the cold, which I had spoken about here), especially my feet which have no problem being covered in boots and never seeing daylight when I’m outside.

On numerous occasions, inaccurate assumptions have been made about the lifestyles, environments and bodily functions of people on the internet. Hence sometimes I find myself having to explain about my abilities to wear the clothes I am showcasing on this blog sporadically. While I am okay with doing this, I am more concerned with my regular readers who have to read the same explanations over and over. To you, my dear internet friends, I do apologise. But sometimes I must do what is necessary to keep up with the so-called integrity and ‘authenticity’ of this blog (what is authenticity in the fashion blogging context anyway?!).

It also raises another fascinating subject in my head. How much of what bloggers wear in real life is influenced by the need to present their outfits on the blog? Has the need for staying true to one’s defined style portrayed on a blog put a parameter around what should/shouldn’t be worn in real life? For some reason authenticity is such an issue for many bloggers’ audience that time and time again when famous bloggers are spotted in real life, readers express disappointment that their outfits in ‘real life’ aren’t accurate representations of their virtual image. This issue is still at its infancy in my head. Perhaps as time goes by I can formulate it better. Of course I would, really, really, reaaaaally love to hear your thoughts on this and have a further discussion so I can actually write something substantial on this topic. Your observations, personal experiences, anecdotes, theory about other bloggers… Anything! You’re more than welcome to remain anonymous too.

Rick Owens via The Rosenrot | For The Love of Avant-Garde Fashion

Rick Owens via The Rosenrot | For The Love of Avant-Garde FashionRick Owens via The Rosenrot | For The Love of Avant-Garde Fashion

(7 comments)

7 thoughts on “A Night Out in Rick Owens

• S.

by S. on October 4, 2014 at 12:47 am

You’ve raised really interesting questions in your last paragraph.
    In my blog I tend to show the outfits that I wear daily, because that’s what I think its inspirational in a more practical level. Also, with this approach I feel more true to myself and my personal style.
    Great post, by the way :) The coat is perfect!

\ Indigo Lights

• asja

by asja on October 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Great outfit:)
    Follow me and I will follow you back?
    Kisses

• inkarlcerating

by inkarlcerating on October 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm

who cares if they dont believe. i believe you.. and it’s not always about the reALITY.. it’s about inspiring people, readers, and making haters feel more envious.. haha.. i love u! this is a very exquisite outfit for an evening.. perfect outfit story too.

• Joel

by Joel on October 12, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Gorgeous pieces!! Love them on you!!

• Mika

by Mika on October 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I often think about this myself. I personally wouldnt put anything on my blog I didnt wear that day and state as such but with the way the internet moves people should learn to distinguish reality from virtual reality. There are a lot of posts done by people reminding their readers exactly that because apparently if your instagram feed shows a hyper glam lifestyle then you cannot possibly have days when you’re slumming it in dirty sweats while nursing a hangover. You can curate your virtual life and I think that’s wonderful. I dont see anything wrong with that as long as you’re not intentionally misleading people and no one needs to apologize for liking and wearing beautiful things even when they appear to be a tad impractical. I dont even think your outfit here looks anything out of the ordinary from what you usually post.

I live in the tropics too and have to contend with people irl asking me how I manage to layer despite the heat, why do I feel the need to “dress up” etc etc. I mean, I dont feel uncomfortable in layers? Have they even heard of breathable fabrics, heat tolerance or offices with subarctic air-conditioning? I dont see the value in posting what I wear everyday on such a public space if only to appease people because I see my blog as a platform where I can share things that I think are actually worth showing. With the amount of visual clutter available on the net I appreciate blogs where content is carefully chosen and considered with good photography and intelligent discussions, like yours.

I have many (scattered) thoughts and would love to know yours and have a discussion going on about it.

• Lucinda

by Lucinda on October 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

What is authentic? In the extent that we set our own truth, we are being authentic when we live out that truth.

I’ve recently attempted to define my personal style on my own blog, and part of my conclusion was finding/defining what you feel comfortable in comes through trial and error. While I’ve been documenting my outfits, there have been some deliberately chosen for the camera amongst those more indicative of my daily expression – however both have had value towards refining my thoughts on, and my practice of personal style. I no longer find myself dressing for the camera (though in a sense I do because I’m repeating outfits, specifically to photograph) because the style I’ve developed, what I instinctively reach for, is me.

Couldn’t we say that fashion is about playing with artifice? I remember being moved by a disarming remark by Gareth Pugh on his design practice, that he chooses not to make clothes for ‘real life’ but rather to offer an alternative interesting life. I sincerely enjoy following what you share here “for the love of avant-garde” not just because of it, but because you choose to articulate the reasons, and the drive for it.

• Baconator

by Baconator on November 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm

That’s an interesting question. When I used to post my outfits on dressed so,mfa,sufu etc I always felt the need to buy stuff in order to sustain the attention of my imaginary audience (no one prolly gave a shit and it was all in my head). I’ve always believed firmly in that ‘you are what you repeatedly expose yourself to’. Like if you the Visvim store everyday and only buy vis you’ll prolly end up looking vis. I stopped posting outfits and bragging about my latest internet cops and my wardrobe has been somewhat the same (actually narrowed down once I sold off stuff I realised I had no use for) and have only made like 3 “practical” purchases so far in 6 months. I’m not sure how capable you are in distinguishing dressing for yourself,environmental, lifestyle etc vs dressing for the internet but only some guru level kinda mind can separate the two. Of course that brings the question, is there anything wrong with dressing for the internet and why is it so demonised? I mean after sell, we’re all participating on Internet fashion forums and do strive to impress our peers. Why would you shun something you enjoy and actively participate in? I dunno…I’m just rambling.

Maybe an experiment would be in order. Try not posting any new outfits or buying new clothes for a set period of time and see what effect it has on your wardrobe and perception of fashion/consumption. You might be surprised by the results.