A Short Breather

June 21, 2016

by Gracia Ventus

Issey Miyake Cocoon Cardigan
Wearing: Issey Miyake Pleats Please cardigan; Comme Comme skirt; Damir Doma creepers; Yves Saint Laurent bag

There are moments in one's life where the downs are deeper than the ups, where the toils of life overwhelm what little joy we have painstakingly build up over time. Everyday we are constantly bombarded with messages telling us that we are not successful enough for society, that we are not attractive enough for other people, that we are not good enough for ourselves. If you forgo your work for a decent amount of sleep, you feel guilty for being lazy. If you are not being photographed in drunken stupor surrounded by drunk people holding up some lit Moet on friday night, you are a lonely loser missing out on life.

Amongst all these self-imposed miseries, the tree of life decides to shed its lemons. Little ones, big ones, medium ones. And we are not quick enough to squeeze all of their juice as they fall upon us. Your terrible boss is being nasty as usual. Your cat gets run over by a car. Your loved one gets into a freak accident and is fighting for his/her life. You watch your relationship break apart in front of your very eyes like a train wreck you cannot stop. Shit always happens. Some of us have come up with various forms of coping mechanism; healthy ones like talking things over with friends and families, going on a relaxing retreat, picking up a sport, petting the other non-dead cat; or unhealthy ones like alcoholism, over-indulgence, violence, and drowning oneself in even more work. There's also religion, which can fall either way depending on your point of view. Despite all these methods humans have come up with, many still sink into anxiety and depression.

Issey Miyake Cocoon Cardigan

I love what I do, and I feel lucky that I am able to eke out a living in fashion. But nevertheless, there are moments where a sense of inadequacy, lack of motivation and fear of missing out creep into my head. There are days where I second guess the major decisions I've made in my life. There are days where lifting weights and meditation do nothing to alleviate the turmoils of my mental state.

But for now I take solace in being able to take a short breather in this cafe, sipping a cold coffee and enjoying the cool breeze from the rain, while a short distance away, a fat cat is napping on a pile of books.

Cat in CafeCat in Cafe

(16 comments)

16 thoughts on “A Short Breather

• Linda Braun

by Linda Braun on June 21, 2016 at 10:23 am

Do not doubt yourself, my dear. Life is hard, and life is beautiful.

• paul kaufman

by paul kaufman on June 21, 2016 at 10:54 am

fat cats book dreaming
    wet steps down the rabbit hole
    sound waves clear mind fields

• AHN

by AHN on June 21, 2016 at 11:50 am

This was a beautifully written post. Close to home, too. Be well x

• Adriana

by Adriana on June 21, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Do you write your posts yourself? There seems to be a gap between the photos, the pieces of clothes you choose, and the text. I’m not complaining of either one, I’m just saying there’s something that doesn’t seem to make sense. There’s a warmth to the clothes you choose and there’s something cold about the texts. Am I alone in sensing there’s something off? Feel free to delete this, please. I’m just curious.

• Gracia Ventus

by Gracia Ventus on June 21, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Yes, the texts are all mine. I suppose I’m passionate in a bitter, skeptical, cold-hearted way. Also there’s a lot of sun where I am.

• Adriana

by Adriana on June 21, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Not judging. I just sensed something different over the past couple of texts and was wondering if an aspiring writer friend might be coming up with them for you or something. Your choice of clothes is among my favourites; so many items of your store on my wish list.

• Gracia Ventus

by Gracia Ventus on June 22, 2016 at 9:46 am

I do appreciate the observation. I can only attribute the disparity to the the time when these photos are taken, and when I actually do my writing, which is less often than taking photos. The writing is more attuned to my current thought processes. Very happy to hear that you’re enjoying the blog and store by the way. Let me know if you need help with the shopping anytime!

• Adriana

by Adriana on June 22, 2016 at 2:43 pm

That would make sense. It wasn’t even the meaning of the sentences themselves, but more the choice of certain words that hint to a different vibration than the one I get from the many exquisite black pieces you wear so well. As soon as the import taxes and laundry are not a problem, I’ll let you know! For the time being, thanks for inspiring me. :) ☮♡.

• MTang

by MTang on June 23, 2016 at 7:51 pm

1984 Bookstore? Great place to spend a rainy day and read.

• Gracia Ventus

by Gracia Ventus on July 19, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Yes. Might be my favourite cafe in Shanghai

• Fellipe Caetano

by Fellipe Caetano on July 3, 2016 at 7:21 am

Life is just terribly tough, for everybody, and we live in a world driven by images, which are everywhere. Such images can tell us that we never fit, no matter where you are in the world. But they are mere images, and we know what it is like to experience the world, the feelings and everything that our body and mind can feel, including beautiful garments. Everybody knows it. So just let these thoughts go away. I am a regular reader of your blog and all posts really inspire me in a lot of ways, since I am a designer/artisan (from Brazil). Please keep doing what you do, this blog is an oasis for info, style and motivation for what I’ve been doing. With love, Fellipe

• Gracia Ventus

by Gracia Ventus on July 19, 2016 at 1:21 pm

You’re too kind, Fellipe, and thank you for your wonderful encouragement. Thankfully the negative thoughts do go away.

• Heather~FurnishMyWay

by Heather~FurnishMyWay on July 6, 2016 at 11:39 pm

I think this is what I needed to hear today. It’s very easy to get stuck in a rut a let yourself sink into a depression. I keep trying to convince myself that everything will work out ok, but it’s hard sometimes. Your short breather in the cafe sounds quite relaxing… I may need to find a time like that for myself.

• Gracia Ventus

by Gracia Ventus on July 19, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I hope you found your peace and quiet too, somewhere somehow.